When it comes to camping, it’s essential to give your body the right nutrients to replenish energy levels and keep spirits high – starting with the most important meal of the day; breakfast.
With this in mind, we’ve popped our favourite pinnies on and whipped up a few camping breakfast ideas.
And there’s not a tin of cold beans or any creepy crawlers in sight!
Eggy bread with strawberries and honey
Inspired by Jamie Oliver, this delicious camping recipe is a taste sensation worthy of a King and Queen. It’s ideal for using up old bread and giving you a much-needed energy boost before a long day of exploring.
Note, this camping recipe requires ricotta and milk, so we recommend trying this one on the first day of camping to avoid the ingredients going off. You should also kit yourself out with a good coolbox to help keep your food fresh during your trip.
- 2 free range eggs
- 250g strawberries
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 200g ricotta
- Grated lemon zest
- 50ml full-fat milk
- A dash of limoncello
- 4 thick slices of bread
- Mix the beaten egg with the milk and limoncello in a bowl or dish.
- Dip the bread slices and shake off the excess.
- Add the caster sugar and cook over an open fire or stove until golden.
- Next, sprinkle some sugar over the strawberries and grill them until the sugar turns slightly brown.
- Finally, add the ricotta and warm strawberries to the bread, then finish with lemon zest and honey.
If you fancy starting your day off with a kick, the breakfast burrito is one of the best camping recipes you can have.
We highly recommend this tasty dish when you need a pick-me-up or the UK weather has turned wet and windy.
- 4 tortillas or pitta bread
- 2-3 free-range eggs
- 4-8 rashers of bacon
- 6 large mushrooms
- A medium-sized red onion
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Chop all ingredients into small pieces.
- Fry the onions, adding the bacon (2 minutes later) and mushrooms (4 minutes later).
- Once cooked, crack two or three eggs into the mix, remembering to season with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Finish by adding the ingredients to a tortilla or pitta bread and adding salsa.
This fancy porridge is one of the healthier camping recipes, packing a real burst of nutritional goodness and designed to give you energy for longer periods.
Combine this easy camping breakfast idea with a spot of early morning yoga for the ideal way to feel at one with the great outdoors.
- 190ml water
- 75g oats
- 1 dsp cacao powder
- 1dsp almond flakes
- 1 tbsp powdered milk
- 6 chopped dates
- 2 dsp desiccated coconut
- Honey or sugar (if desired)
- Add all the ingredients (excluding the almonds) into a bag and soak overnight.
- In the morning, toast the almonds in a pan, tossing until they turn a dark brown colour. Add this to the mix.
- For the tastiest results, heat the contents through and sprinkle honey or sugar (if desired).
Food for thought